Monday 9 February 2009

First Theory Session


We had our first Theory session with Anna today and I am very pleased with how it went, we were informed that by the end of the hour session we would have to have a title for the assignment. I thought that this was going to be impossible as I didn't have a clue what I could do?

However Anna was great, all I explained was my idea for my FMP and that I wanted to progress onto Ba Illustration, then that I am interested in editorial/narrative and fashion Illustration. From this we came up with the idea that I will focus on how there is a growing preference for hand rendered Illustration rather than photographic within fashion/editorial Illustration.
Things that I could look at regarding this are,
  • How the two express/signify something different.
  • Use of them in Mainstream magazines such as ID, Vogue, Pop, Dazed&Confused.
  • Analyse and decode the functions of selected Illustrations.
  • Aesthetically pleasing to the consumer.
I will need to narrow this down further though, by comparing campaigns by a Fashion Photographer and an Illustrator such as Nick Knight and Julie Verhoven.
It was recommended that we get the nessessary books out of the library asap as the degree courses will all be starting their essays as well.
For next weeks session we need to have a working title and campaigns to decode/analyse and compare. I am very determined to make the most of Anna's sessions this time as it is alot more independent self directed study as it is.

No comments: