Friday 30 January 2009

Hayley Potter - Illustrator


Visiting Illustrator Hayley Potter gave a talk today on her work and life as an Illustrator in the industry. Her work is very charming and magical, at a first glance I was really intrigued to find out more about all her funny little characters. I especially liked her animals which during her presentation she explained she used them to add a bit of animal into her human illustrations. 



There were a couple of things which Hayley talked about which really caught my attention:
  • Build a portfolio of the things you would like to do (redesign book covers for a book you like)
  • Placing Illustration: Placing Illustration where it wouldn't normally be placed, this really got me thinking about ideas of my FMP, also linking in with promotional material by placing my own work on T-Shirts and other media.
  • SELF PROMOTION - This is something that I am really going to have to consider for this project and especially when working in the industry as I will need to make my self known. Hayley does this by sending regular emails to her mailing list, if anything to keep reminding people of you. Attending meetings and giving talks at least once a month.

No comments: